Lijit

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A weekend of Nutella

A weekend of Nutella
I don't know about you but I grew up on Nutella.  It was the favorite topping when The Father would make crepes.  It was great when I would watch TV.  I would just sit on the couch with a bunch of bananas and a jar of nutella.  The combination was genius (yes, I know I'm not the first person that though of this).  I would convince myself that I was eating healthy (you know the banana and hazelnuts :D).  In honour of Nutella day (it was last Friday) I decided to eat nutella the whole weekend.  On Friday night, I made Mexican mole made with nutella and filled wontons filled with nutella and bananas/strawberries.  Lets just say, the wontons didn't last long enough for me to plate it nicely. 
* I still have my point and shoot..hopefully I'll get a new camera

The mole recipe was quite easy (I was totally surprised)
Ingredients
2 Teaspoons of Vegetable Oil
1/4 Cup of finely chopped onion (I slightly suck and chopping so there were big chunks)
1 Teaspoon of Ground Cumin (After much debate with The Husband, we bought some).
1 Teaspoon of Dried Cilantro (I totally read the recipe wrong and got fresh)
1/8 Tablespoon dried minced Garlic (Again I used fresh and I added more since I love garlic)
1 (10.75 ounce) Can of Condensed Tomato Soup
1 (4 ounces) Can Diced Green Chili Peppers (I used a medium size jalapeno pepper)
1 Tablespoon of Nutella (of course for National Nutella day but it is really unsweetened coco)
Direction
In a Saucepan, saute the onion.  Once the onions become tender, add the nutella, cumin, cilantro, and garlic.  Saute for a couple of minutes than add the tomato soup and chili.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a low heat.  Let it simmer for 10 minutes and serve. 
I made mine more chunky and I actually like it this way :D  I also made some pork chops, heated up corn tortilla, and homemade guacamole.  I also made Spanish rice.  The rice was good but I would have reduce the amount of water. 
For the wontons, I adapted the procedure from Giada on food network.

For breakfast I enjoyed some eggs over left over Spanish rice with tortilla, left over mole and guacamole.
 * I suck at making eggs, I never get it to the write consistency :(
Finally on Sunday, I decided to make some mamon.  Instead I substitute the coffee for a large amount of nutella.  It came out well but I wish I had more batter.  I made a small batch and it wasn't enough to fill the cupcake tins :(

 



--
Joy Alegria-Vizcarra
joyjoycreativeoutlet.blogspot.com
jsparaisofood.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. A day of Nutella, now you're talking! Last week my husband and I actually fried nutella in a crepe, , similar to Giada's recipe but with bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ashley, that looks really good. How did it turn out? Nutella filled crepes has always been my favorite breakfast growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were delicious -- not very healthy but certainly acceptable as an "occasional" treat!

    ReplyDelete