As some of you know, it was The Husbands birthday yesterday. The funny is that the morning of his birthday, I actually just thought…hmmmm I should make dinner for him shouldn’t I? I was on the fence about making a huge dinner just because he had school. But I figured I should attempt to cook :D. I have been using this great website called Food on The Table for my meal planning for the last couple of weeks. For The Husband’s Birthday, I figured I would make a stir fry dish. It was really good and it only took me an hour to prepare and cook. For dessert, I finally tackled a Genoise Cake. I had high hopes for this cake, it is good but you need someone more to dress it up. I would make it again but I would top it with some fresh fruit and whipped cream :D.
Pork with Honey Gravy
(Adapted from Food on The Table)
2 Pounds of Pork Shoulder – In 1 Inch Cubes
3 Tbs of Brown Gravy Mix
3/4 Cup of Water
1/4 Cup of Honey
3 Tbs of Soy Sauce
2 Tbs of Red Wine Vinegar (I thought I had some but I had to use regular White Vinegar
1 Tsp of Grated Ginger
1/2 Tsp of Garlic Salt
4 Carrots – Sliced thin
1 Med Onions in Large Chunks
1 Green Pepper – Diced
- Sautee the pork in a little olive oil and let it brown a little.
- While that is cooking, mix together the gravy mix, soy sauce, water, vinegar, honey, ginger, and salt to create the gravy.
- When the meat is brown, add the sauce and reduce to a simmer and let the meat continue to cook in the sauce - covered.
- Stir occasionally to make sure the sauce doesn’t burn. When the sauce starts to reduce, add the carrots.
- When the carrots starts to soften, add the onions and green peppers.
- Let to cook for only 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
For the Genoise cake, I adapted it from Nick Malgieri’s The Modern Baker. I had the book for months but I had yet to try one of the recipes. I love the taste of the cake. I topped it with an apple compote.
I am planning on going through the whole book to try each recipe. It is a great book and he gives ways to save time in the kitchen. I’m always a fan of anything that will save me time in the kitchen.