Lijit

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Spring Rolls

 Vietnamese Spring Rolls
* adapted from http://rasamalaysia.com/



I love Spring Rolls.  It is the just the mixture of meat with noodles and vegetables but the best part is the wrapping.  For some reason, I love the texture of it.  It is much different from the traditional Lumpia Shanghai I'm used to.  It is soft and a little chewy.  I love how fresh the vegetables.  Traditionally this is made with shrimp and pork loin but The Husband hates shrimp so I'm out of luck.  I even made a vegetarian version and it was still as good. 

Ingredients
For the Pork slices
1 lb Pork chops, loin, butt or shoulder, sliced thin.  I used pork loin it provided a nice balance of fat to meat.
        *I might try other meats if The Husband lets me
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Shallots, minced
1 Tbs Fish sauce * we could use due to The Baby's allergies.  I'm in search of a vegetarian version.
1 Tsp of Sugar
2 Tsp of Black Pepper or to Taste
1/2 Cup of Vegetable or Peanut Oil *again The Baby has allergies so we went with Vegetable Oil

Needed for assembly
Hoisin Peanut Sauce *Again with our allergic munchkin we got stuck with just Hoisin Sauce
Rice paper
Roman Lettuce
Cucumber, julianne style
Fresh herbs: Mint, cilantro, basil, or any thing you like *we used Cilantro
Bean Sprouts * we didn't have any

Directions
Mix all the ingredients for the pork slices.  Let it sit for 20 minutes.  Grill the pieces for about 2-3 minutes depending on your preference. 
To assemble
Soak the rice paper in warm water for 3-5 secs until it is flexable but do not over soak or it will break.  Place on work surface, for me it was a plate.  Place the lettuce first on the wrapping toward the end by you, then place the meat, then the rest of the vegetables.  Roll the spring roll.  View this video to see how Roll a spring roll.  And than consume. 



Here is the directions on making the Hoisin Peanut Sauce
Ingredients
1 Cup or 8 oz of hoisen sauce
1/4 Cup of Smooth Peanut Butter
1 Tbs of Rice Vinegar
2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 Minced of Thai chili

Directions
Just blend well
* Again pretty easy




 

1 comment:

  1. That is the sweetest picture! I've often wanted to make spring rolls. I'll be giving your instructions a try!

    ReplyDelete