Lijit

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Apple Spice Bundt Cake and Thanksgiving

IMG_0598

I hope everybody had a wonderful holiday!  I know I'm a bit slow on my thanksgiving post :D.  Unlike most people, instead of shopping or just vegging out the days after Thanksgiving I got stuck working.  But I guess that is a good thing since I was very tempted to get in line at 8 pm on Thanksgiving to buy some electronics :D.  This year, my Thanksgiving was quiet and relaxing.  I only had to feed 6 1/2 (the son) people this year.  It was pretty nice.  I went basic this year: macaroni cheese, mashed potato, candied yams, green bean cassarol, and a regular roasted turkey.  Since I went simple with dinner, I had to change it up for dessert.  I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin pie but I did want to have a dessert that screamed fall.  I did made a pecan pie but unfortunately the kids can't eat nuts so I made an apple cake!  An Apple Spice Cake to be exact.
 
Apple Spice Cake
(adapted from Baked Explorations by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito with minor alterations )
4 Cups of All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp of Baking Soda
1 Tsp of Baking Powder
1 Tsp of Salt
2 Tsp of Cinnamon
1 Tsp of Ground Ginger
1 Tsp of Allspice
1 Tsp of Ground Clove
1 Tsp of Nutmeg
3 Sticks of Butter at Room Temp
2 1/2 Cup of Sugar
2 Large Eggs
4 Cups of Apple Sauce
 
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
  2. Combine then shift all of the dry ingredients and set aside.
  3. Cream the butter with sugar until the butter is fluffy.
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time to the butter mixture.  Make sure the eggs are well incorprated.
  5. Add the flour mixture in four parts alternating with the applesauce one cup at a time.  Blend well.  The cake batter should be light but fluffy.
  6. Pour the mixture into a large bundt pan.  *I actually ruined mine a couple of months ago so I used an angel food pan.
  7. Bake for 35 minutes *The cook times will vary depending on the thickness of the cake.
  8. Let it cool and server.  I added a little melted carmel as a topping.
 
 
IMG_0590

IMG_0597
 
Here are some pictures from my Thanksgiving dinner.  I even got to change to use The Mother's  fancy dishes (which only has been used once before) :D
IMG_0622
IMG_0627IMG_0635

5 comments:

  1. What a beautifully set table for your Thanksgiving holiday and what a gorgeous turkey! :)

    I can smell that apple spice cake and luv that it uses applesauce. Thanks for sharing - it's on my list to make now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thanksgiving dinner tables, great food more than lot of love there Joy, Excellent spice apple cake, Love try a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very festive table set up.
    The cake looks so very moist! I would love a large slice now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks yummy and I love the mini pumpkin place settings :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious spread of food! I love apple cake! Looks scrumptious. Hope you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete