This month's baking partners theme is Shaped Rolls. With Thanksgiving coming up, homemade bread is a treat I try to make every year if time permitted.
● 2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
● 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk (instant)
● 2 Tb. dry yeast
● 1/4 cup sugar
● 2 tsp. salt
● 1/3 cup shortening (butter or margarine)
● 1 egg
● 5-5 1/2 cups flour, all purpose (bread flour can be used if you have it on hand)
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the water and the milk powder and stir so the milk dissolves.
- Add the yeast to this mixture then the sugar, salt, shortening, egg and 2 cups of the flour.
- Mix on low speed of mixer until ingredients are wet, then turn to medium speed and mix for 2 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and add 2 more cups of flour then mix on low speed until the ingredients are wet, then turn mixer on medium speed and mix for 2 minutes. The dough will be getting stiff and you may need to remove the bowl from the mixer and mix in the remaining flour by hand.
- Add approximately 1/2 cup of flour and mix again. (This can be done by hand or mixer). The dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff. (It is not necessary to use the entire amount of flour).
- Scrape the dough off the sides of the bowl and pour approximately on tablespoon of vegetable oil all around the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough over in the bowl so it is covered with the oil. (This helps prevent the dough from drying out.)
- Cover with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size.
- Sprinkle a cutting board or counter with flour and put the dough on the flour. It is now ready to roll out and cut into desired shape and size of rolls.
- Place on greased (or parchment lined) baking pans.
- Let rise in a warm place until the rolls are double in size (approx. 1-1 1/2 hours).
- Bake in a 375-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until they are browned to your satisfaction. Brush with melted butter while hour. Yields 2 to 2 1/2 dozen rolls.
Good Website Tips
Lion House Rolls
I also made some other shapes like: