(adapted from The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri)
1/2 Cup of Milk
4 Tsp of Dry Yeast
2 Cups of Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbs of Sugar
3/4 Tsp of Salt
20 Tbs of Cold Unsalted Butter (diced in 1/2 cubes)
An egg wash
- Take 1/2 of the milk and warm it to lukewarm (either in a sauce pan or microwave) and than add the yeast. Set aside
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt into a food processor. Pulse until it is well combined.
- Add 4 tbs of the cold butter to food processor and mix into it is well-incorporated.
- Add the rest of the butter but only pulse twice.
- Take the rest of the milk and add it to the warm milk. Add the mixture into the food process and pulse 3 times.
- Remove from the processor onto a floured surface and form a ball. Flatten into a rough rectangle.
- Roll out the dough into a 12x15 rectangle.
- Take the longer sides and fold over a third of it into the middle. Do this on the other side.
- Gently roll up the dough until it forms a square. (I didn't exactly do this part just right)
- Place in a plastic bag and let it rise in room temp for 1 1/2 hour to 2.
- Put it in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
- Once it sits for 8 hours, remove from the bag onto a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough into a 12 x 15 inch rectangle.
- Cut out long triangles to form the croissant. (I did rectangles since I was filling them.)
- Take the rectangles and put a dollop of nutella (store-bought or homemade, this is what I used) into the center.
- Bring up the sides to form a little pouch.
- Place on a prepared baking sheet and cover.
- Let it rise until it doubles in size
- Pre-heat the oven 350F
- Once it has risen brush the egg wash
- Bake for 15 minutes and than rotate the pans to the opposite rack for the next 15 minutes
- Let it cool and serve
It didn't come out as flaky as I hoped.
Please check out the other posts on the website