Lijit

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Nutella au Pain

Guess what was yesterday? World Nutella Day! This day is hosted by Sara and Michelle. As some of you know, I love nutella. How could I not participate. This time I wanted to attack croissants. I decided to make a Nutella au Pain. I also had a book club meeting with my friends and cousin so I figured I would use them as my guinea pigs. I was meaning to crack open my Modern Bakers book by Nick Malgieri. I have been meaning to try all the recipes in the book and I wanted to start with this one.  For the filling I used my homemade nutella recipe




  
The recipe is called On-Step Croissants
(adapted from The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri)
1/2 Cup of Milk
4 Tsp of Dry Yeast
2 Cups of Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbs of Sugar
3/4 Tsp of Salt
20 Tbs of Cold Unsalted Butter (diced in 1/2 cubes)
An egg wash
Directions
  1. Take 1/2 of the milk and warm it to lukewarm (either in a sauce pan or microwave) and than add the yeast. Set aside
  2. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt into a food processor. Pulse until it is well combined.
  3. Add 4 tbs of the cold butter to food processor and mix into it is well-incorporated.
  4. Add the rest of the butter but only pulse twice.
  5. Take the rest of the milk and add it to the warm milk. Add the mixture into the food process and pulse 3 times.
  6. Remove from the processor onto a floured surface and form a ball. Flatten into a rough rectangle.
  7. Roll out the dough into a 12x15 rectangle.
  8. Take the longer sides and fold over a third of it into the middle. Do this on the other side.
  9. Gently roll up the dough until it forms a square. (I didn't exactly do this part just right)
  10. Place in a plastic bag and let it rise in room temp for 1 1/2 hour to 2.
  11. Put it in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
  12. Once it sits for 8 hours, remove from the bag onto a floured surface.
  13. Roll out the dough into a 12 x 15 inch rectangle.
  14. Cut out long triangles to form the croissant. (I did rectangles since I was filling them.)
*This is what I did different
  1. Take the rectangles and put a dollop of nutella (store-bought or homemade, this is what I used) into the center.
  2. Bring up the sides to form a little pouch.
  3. Place on a prepared baking sheet and cover.
  4. Let it rise until it doubles in size
  5. Pre-heat the oven 350F
  6. Once it has risen brush the egg wash
  7. Bake for 15 minutes and than rotate the pans to the opposite rack for the next 15 minutes
  8. Let it cool and serve
I would have made the dough a little more smoother. This is the first time I tired this recipe and I can't wait to try it again.



It didn't come out as flaky as I hoped. 

Please check out the other posts on the website
http://www.nutelladay.com/

19 comments:

  1. such a yummy snack! i'm a nutella nut too! thanks for stopping by my blog, joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing better than a croissant ... is a croissant filled with Nutella. This looks pretty good eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so yummy and sounds addictive! My family just love anything with Nutella :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love anything nutella! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is what I need more of! Delicious and easy croissants with nutella! Thank you for sharing, my sweet friend, and thank you for your kind words on my blog this morning. It means so much to have your support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed you made your own Nutella. I bet it tastes great in these wonderful little croissants. I must try that recipe at home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so scrumptious, Joy. I wouldn't criticize anything - it's the best idea also - you took pain au chocolat and upped the ante.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun!
    I didn't even know there's a nutella day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've had chocolate croissants but NEVER nutella. oye, i've been missing out...!!

    i'll have to hunt down a baker who would do this cuz i can't bake for the life of me. LOL

    thanks for the link to ur homemade nutella :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Nutella heaven......looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Croissants are so scrumptious all on their own - for you to add Nutella makes them outrageously delicious! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Nutella in everything, including croissants.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Practice makes perfect and I wouldn't mind practicing with these Nutalla au Pains! Drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how I missed out on this day. Love how you make your own Nutella. Yum to adding it to bread. Wish I had one. Hope you are having a great week.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is perfect Sunday treat!Can't wait for weekend to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks wonderful! I love chocolate au pain and using Nutella (especially homemade!) would be even better. Thank you for sharing, I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look super yummy!
    Thank you for your comment today at Chef Dennis' blog!

    ReplyDelete