So for the past couple of days I have been dealing with a sick Daughter. She had no energy or appetite. After a day of not really eating, I was trying to figure out what to feed her. I thought back when I used to be sick as a child what The Mother would feed me. The first thing I thought of arroz caldo and salabat. The one problem we have is that The Daughter is allergic to chicken so instead I used rib eye steak. Yes steak. I made a whole pot and by the next day, it was all gone. The Daughter loved it and she enjoyed the salabat. Food was always better medicine than some prescription drugs. To cure the common cold, I also turn to arroz caldo, pho, or even the basic chicken noodle soup always made me feel better. I don’t know about you but salabat was always my cure for a sore throat. After a day, The Daughter was running around and terrorizing the house.
Arroz de Rib eye (ok I had no idea what to call it if there is a name)
1 lb. of Thinly Cut Rib Eye Cubed
2 Cups of Glutinous Rice
6 Cups of Water
1 Clove of Garlic Minced
2 Tsp. of Thinly Sliced Ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a medium size stock pot, start to sauté the garlic.
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper.
- Add the the meat to the stock pot and cook until it browns.
- When the meat is cooked, add the rice and sauté that.
- Add the water and ginger.
- Bring to a boil and let it cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
2 Tbs. of Ginger (Thinly sliced and skin removed)
Water (Depending on how much you want to make)
1/4 – 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar (I like it on the sweeter side)
- Put the water and ginger either in tea pot or a sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add the sugar.
- Serve Hot
*The ginger is such a strong flavor that I am able to continue to add water for a good week and the tea is still as strong. You might have to add a little more sugar or ginger.
It is pretty brown because of the brown sugar