For those that is wondering dog food, it has another name but I know it as puppy chow. I believe Chex actually calls it muddy buddies or something like that. I love the stuff and “supposedly” Chex actually packaged it but I have yet to find them. I have only seen it once and it was at my friends house. My cravings took the better of me and I caved. I got all the ingredients needed for it with the exception I used Almond butter instead of peanut butter. We were trying to use up our almond butter.
Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
(Adapted from Chex)
9 cups of Rice or Corn Chex
1 Cup of Semisweet Chocolate Chips (The Husband claims that dark chocolate is better)
1/2 Cup of Peanut Butter (Almond Butter for us)
1/3 Cup of Butter
1 Tsp of Vanilla
1 1/2 Cup of Powder Sugar (I normally go with enough to coat the mix)
- First melt together the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter in the microwave. it is about 1 - 1/2 minutes on high. Make sure you mix 1/2 way through melting the mix.
- Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Place the Chex in a large bowl and pour the mixture over the Chex pieces.
- Gently fold in the chocolate mixture to make sure all of the Chex is well coated.
- Take the covered Chex and place in a large (probably 2 gallon) zip lock bag and add the powder sugar.
- Shake well.
- Spread over wax paper to dry and than Serve
I actually the almond butter but it is sweeter than the peanut version. I would strongly suggest to use dark chocolate. I love making this for Christmas gifts. But we did find out something interesting, The Daughter is not allergic to almonds. We thought she was allergic to all nuts but I have been slowly exposing her to things she is allergic to. We found out when she snuck a piece. We were watching her like a hawk and I had the Benadryl ready just in case. Maybe I could actually have nuts in the house more than a day.