If you have no noticed, lately, everything I have been making is with apples. There is a good reason for it. I went apple picking with The Daughter, The Husband, and my friend Anna. We found out we got there on the last day of apple picking. Unfortunately the whether in Chicago has been quite strange and very hot. The poor apples so it took us about 3 hours just to find apples and fill out little bags. I mainly got Granny Smiths and Fuji apples. I was trying to think what to do with all the apples and than I remembered Jen from My Kitchen Addiction is hosting Kitchen Boot camp and this month’s theme is Pastry Dough and Batters. I thought great, I will make mini apple crostata. I used my pie dough I used from the pie competition.
Mini Fuji Apple Crostata
5 Fuji Apples Sliced thinly
1/2 Cup of Sugar
3 Tbs of Cinnamon
Raw Sugar for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Take the apple slices and cover them with the lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and completely coat the apples.
- Roll out the pie dough to a 1/3 inch thickness.
- Punch out large circles and place on a cookie sheet.
- Arrange the apple slices in the center of the circle while leaving a 1/2 an inch space from the edge.
- Bring up the edges.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes.
- 20 minutes into the baking time brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle a little raw sugar for a good crunch.
*With this dough, make sure the bottom is cooked, depending on your pan, it may take a longer cook time.