Lijit

Search This Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

What happened to the Summer?

How is it already Labor Day?  The sad part, we did nothing except for cleaning and organizing the house but it had to be done.  As I sit here watching a marathon of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, I finally had a chance to catch up on my google reader blogs and create this post.  We cheated this week, instead of having a BBQ we went to a local BBQ restaurants with our really good friends.  It totally satisfy my craving for BBQ I had all week but I'm still looking for some really good beef ribs.  I can't seem to find them.  The rest of the weekend consist of organizing, throwing out, and using up some of the stuff we have.  I finally took and inventory of my pantry and it isn't as bad as it was.  I still have some work but made a good dent and I even weighed out some of the ingredients I use quite frequently.  I am quite proud of my self :D.  I even did some prepping for the week's dinner.  I'll explain later about that.  So our Labor Day meal was not the traditional BBQ but a Tilapia Tempura.  As I was cleaning out the pantry, I did find a box of tempura mix and I was already defrosting tilapia for dinner. 

Tempura Tilapia
1 Box of Tempura Mix
Water for the Mix
6 Fillet of Fish
Oil for Frying
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Start heating up the oil, it needs to be hot when you start frying.
  2. Take the fillet and make sure each one is dry before dipping it into the batter. 
  3. Prepare the batter as directed, I made mine a little thicker.
  4. Season the fish to your tasting.
  5. Dip the fish into the batter.  Make sure it is fully coated and shake off the excess. 
  6. Deep fry.  Once it becomes a golden brown, it is cooked. 
  7. Serve
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
4 Sweet Potatoes cut into 1 inch cubs.
Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper, and Brown Sugar to taste
Directions
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place the sweet potatoes into a casserole pan,
  3. Season with the salt and pepper.
  4. Drizzle the olive oil.
  5. Mix everything together to make sure everything is coated.
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes.
  7. Occasionally, rotate the potatoes so it cooks evenly.
  8. Sprinkle brown sugar and bake for another 10 minutes to give a nice crunch coating.
  9. Serve.

17 comments:

  1. this is a very good idea. i never even thought of making tilapia tempura. thank you very much for the post. the tilapia tempura should go well with a mango salsa. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely meal. Great to see sweet potatoes there....my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello busy-bee!! it looks good even if I couldn't eat it :-) come over and help me organize my house... i admire your determination and am proud of you for all that you've accomplished. hope to see you soon, y dear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique idea! I love tilapia, I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those potatoes sound great, and the recipe couldn't be simpler.

    I'm curious about part of your pantry story! When you say you weighed out ingredients you use frequently, do you mean that you packed away pre-measured amounts so that you can just grab one when you need it without having to measure anything? That sounds like a clever idea! I only do that when I freeze meats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody.
    @Kristina - I wish I was that organized and that is a great idea. I just took an inventory and recorded the total weight. For a large chunk of my recipes, I weight out the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer is long gone here...Seafiid tempura..how delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have made a meal out of the sweet potatoes alone. I love them! But then you know me and my weird eating habits :D Dinner looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dish looks good. I have Tilapia fillets at home and now I'm very tempted to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your twist on fish and chips...tilapia and sweet potato..yum!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've done a similar thing with Orange Roughy and Tilapia, but cut them smaller. It would be much faster to do it your way. I'll have to try it!
    http://thehungryartist.wordpress.com/2010/06/08/crispy-fish-tempura-bites/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tilapia looks delicious especially with the roasted sweet potatoes! I did a lot of cleaning and organizing this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've roasted sweet potatoes, but your addition of last-minute brown sugar is a nice touch. Will have to try. Thanks.
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything about this meal looks delicious.. I love tempura battered anything and fish would be fab.. all I need to do now is go and buy a box of tempura!

    ReplyDelete
  15. tempura anything is great! it looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  16. We didn't have a traditional Labor day either, we spent ours apartment hunting. I guess it's best to make the most of the extra day off. The tempura tilapia looks delicious. I have made tempura sweet potatoes - also very good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love fried fish but I hate a heavy batter so this looks absolutely perfect. Thanks for sharing your idea!

    ReplyDelete