Lijit

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Daring Cooks - Pierogies

Pierogies, pierogies, and more pierogies.  This month's Daring Cooks Challenge was pierogies hosted by LizG of Bits 'n Bites and Anula of Anula's Kitchen.  The only time I had pierogies was the frozen kind.  It was a great experience to actually make it from scratch.  I didn't realized how simple it was.  My approach to this challenge was to use a Russian dough version.  As for the filling, I created a cheese and potato filling. 


Russian Style Pierogi
(adapted from Anula's Kitchen)
2 to 2 1/2 Cup of Flour (I used 2 Cups)
1 Large Egg
1 Tsp of Salt
1 Cup of Water


Directions
  1. Lightly beat the egg. 
  2. Add the flour and salt.  Mix the well.
  3. Add enough water until it is moist but not too wet.
  4. Let it rest for 20 minutes before working the dough.
  5. Roll out the dough and assemble.
Potato and Cheese Filling
2 Cooked Potatoes
1/4 Cup of Bacon
1/2 Cup of Farmers Cheese
1 Small Onions
Salt and Pepper to Taste


Directions
  1. Mash up the potatoes and let it go to room temperature.
  2. While the potatoes are cooling, cook the bacon until it is crisp.
  3. Remove the bacon from the skillet and add the onions to cook.
  4. As the onions are cooking, chop up the bacon into little pieces.
  5. Add the bacon back into the pan when the onions become translucent.  Remove from the heat.
  6. Chop or crumble up the cheese and than add it to the mashed potatoes.
  7. Add the bacon and onions to the mix than season.
  8. Fill the pierogies.
Cooking Directions
  1. Start boiling water with a little salt in a medium pot.
  2. Form the pierogies by cutting small circles.  Place the dough into an empanada press.
  3. Add the filling in the middle (make sure you do not put too much or they will burst).
  4. Fold the edges over to create a half moon. Make sure the edges are sealed.
  5. Drop the pierogies into the boiling water.
  6. When it starts to float, removed from the water and place in a strainer.
  7. Takes the small skillet and starts browning 1-2 tbs of butter (you could use oil also).
  8. Take the cooked pierogies and brown them in the skillet.
  9. Serve.

19 comments:

  1. I have never made pierogies, but you made them look so simple that I feel inspired to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I am saving this recipe to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with these and even made me want to try. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried those! Look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These dumplings look perfectly made! The filling sounds so satisfying with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so guilty ... I haven't done any of the challenges for months! The pierogi look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade pierogies are the best! thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good. I've some before that were pretty bland. I think the quality and type of cheese must be important?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family loves dumplings. These look like Chinese dumplings :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pierogies, love them. Yours look very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will def be seeing a pierogi post by me around the holidays. My grandma taught me when I was a kid so I have been using the same christmas cup as my measuring guide and a fork to press them shut since I was just a kid! They are nostalgic to me but I only make them once or twice a year since I made around 200 every time and then I dont want to see them for months hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum yum, your pierogis look delicious! Potato + bacon + cheese = yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look like bona fide traditional pierogies to me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! I missed my peirogi post due to travel but still want to make them, yours look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have only had pierogies in restaurants. Thanks for the recipe. It's a great comfort food.

    ReplyDelete