Lijit

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Family Dinner

 
When I was in California, my goal was to help out The Mother so I thought I was suppose to cook and clean.  I mainly just cleaned and I got barely any cooking done.  Except for one meal.  Myself and The Father went to Costco by their house and looked for Prime rib.  Unfortunately, they did not have any but we were able to get some an Rib Eye roast instead.  The whole family was coming over the next day.  I kept the menu pretty simple with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy.  I also knew that my aunt and cousins would bring food over also.  For the Rib eye, I went with a garlic rub recipe from All Recipes
 
 
Garlic Prime Rib *or Rib eye roast in my case
(adapted from All recipes)

Ingredients

  • 1 (10 pound) prime rib roast
  • 10 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme

Directions

  1. Place the roast in a roasting pan with the fatty side up. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Spread the mixture over the fatty layer of the roast, and let the roast sit out until it is at room temperature, no longer than 1 hour.
  2. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
  3. Bake the roast for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C), and continue roasting for an additional 60 to 75 minutes. The internal temperature of the roast should be at 145 degrees F (53 degrees C) for medium rare.
  4. Allow the roast to rest for 10 or 15 minutes before carving so the meat can retain its juices.
 
For the side, I did a basic mashed potato with milk and butter.  I made a lot of mashed potatoes.  Probably because I always have potatoes in my house :D  I chose another recipe from All Recipes for the gravy. 

 
(adapted from All Recipe)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3 teaspoons beef bouillon
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter

Directions

  1. Combine water, bouillon, flour, onion and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until thickened.
 


1 comment:

  1. it sounds like you definitely impressed the family with your Rib Eye Roast. it looks moist and delicious! the potatoes and gravy is a great side!

    ReplyDelete