One of The Mother's most popular request was her mocha roll. It is pretty much a coffee flavored Swiss roll. The filling was a butter cream. You could use any butter cream you would like. Just use instant coffee to flavor it. The beauty of this cake was how light it was and super soft. Personally, I'm not a fan of the American butter cream that uses powder sugar but this version isn't too bad.
1 Cup Sifted of All-Purpose or Cake Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
6 Egg Separated
2 Tsp Instant Coffee Melt in 1/2 Cup of Milk
1/4 Cup of Milk
1/4 Tsp Cream of Tarter
- Mix together the dry ingredients: Flour, Salt Baking powder, Baking Soda, and only 1/2 Cup Sugar
- In a separate bowl, mix the 6 egg yolks, the coffee mixture, and the remainder of milk. This could be done by hand or by a mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients with the egg/coffee mixture and than set aside.
- In a different bowl, whisk the 6 egg whites with the cream of tarter until it because fluffy with stiff peaks.
- Add the remainder of sugar slowly until it is completely incorporated.
- Gentle fold in the other mixture until it is completely Incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a greased lined jelly pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until it is brown.
- While that is making, make the filling and prep the counter for rolling.
- Rolling: Take a towel and sprinkle sugar until it is the size of the cake.
- Follow the directions below for the filling.
- Take the cooked cake and place the cake over the sugar area on the towel, bottom side up.
- Remove any wax or parchment paper if used.
- Spread the filling throughout the cake.
- Slowly but tightly roll the cake using the edges of the towel.
- Trim off the ends.
1/2 lb of butter
1/2-1 cup of powder sugar
2 Tsp of Instant Coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup of water.
- Cream the butter in the mixer at a medium speed.
- While the mixer is still running, slowly add the powder sugar, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Than add the coffee mixture.
- Continue to mix the items until it is fully incorporated and has a fluffy texture.