Lijit

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Daring Cooks - Cornmeal and more Cornmeal

IMG_9688

It has been a while since I participated with the Daring Cooks challenge. When I found out the theme was cornmeal, I made sure I participated this month. This theme is brought to you by Rachael from Pizzarossa.

Cornmeal, cornmeal I thought when I was trying to figure out what to make. The only thing I came up with was catfish, fritters, and corn dogs. More deep frying, I am amazed my cholesterol isn’t as high as I would think it would be.
I caved into my inner child and made corn dogs. I didn’t make have hotdogs but I did have chicken. I made Chicken Corn nuggets or Corn Chicken.
Like Corn dogs.

Get it, Get it?

I know.

Totally corny (totally laughing to myself)
Corn Chicken
3 Lbs of Chicken Thighs
1 Tablespoon of Salt and Pepper
Cornmeal Pancake Batter
(Adapted from Pioneer Woman)
2 Eggs – Large and Lightly Beaten
2 ¼ Cup of Whole Milk
3 Tsp of Vanilla
4 Tbs of Melted Butter
1 ½ Cup of All-purpose Flour
1 ½ Cup of Yellow Cornmeal
½ Tsp of Salt
3 Tbs of Baking Powder
4 Tbs of Sugar
Directions
  1. Cut the chicken into 1 inch by ½ inch pieces. The thickness should range from ¼ - ½ inch in thickness. The chicken skin should be removed.
  2. Season the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the beaten egg, milk, and vanilla.
  4. Slowly add the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
  5. Heat a large pot (we used a sauce pan and my stove looked like a piece of fried chicken has exploded) with 3 inches of oil. We used canola oil. Keep tabs the temperature of the oil to prevent burning. It happened to the first set of chicken.
  6. Dip the chicken pieces into the batter.
  7. Remove any access batter and place in the oil to fry.
  8. Cook for 5-7 minutes depending on the sizes of each piece. The color of the batter should be golden brown. Test one of the larger pieces to check for doneness.
  9. Drain on a paper napkin to remove access oil.
Honey Mustard
1/3 Cup of Mustard
1/2 Cup of Honey
Mix well.  You may want to add more honey if you like it sweeter.
Corn Bread Muffin
*I used the recipe from the box.  The brand I used was Arnett and added a cup of thawed corn kernals
IMG_9690
 Sauces: Honey Mustard, Ketchup, and Table Sryup (pancake batter = pancake sryup)
IMG_9718
IMG_9727
IMG_9701
IMG_9710
IMG_9711
IMG_9682
IMG_9688

IMG_9677

5 comments:

  1. I love your Corn Chicken (yup, I get it. Yup, funny corny :) ). You did a great job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really yummy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow these corny chicken look so dang crisp and tasty, Joy. Muffins are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic idea - these look so tasty I'd be afraid I'd eat the whole plate by myself!

    ReplyDelete