It has been a while since I participated with the Daring Cooks challenge. When I found out the theme was cornmeal, I made sure I participated this month. This theme is brought to you by Rachael from Pizzarossa.
Cornmeal, cornmeal I thought when I was trying to figure out what to make. The only thing I came up with was catfish, fritters, and corn dogs. More deep frying, I am amazed my cholesterol isn’t as high as I would think it would be.
I caved into my inner child and made corn dogs. I didn’t make have hotdogs but I did have chicken. I made Chicken Corn nuggets or Corn Chicken.
Like Corn dogs.
Get it, Get it?
Totally corny (totally laughing to myself)
3 Lbs of Chicken Thighs
1 Tablespoon of Salt and Pepper
Cornmeal Pancake Batter
(Adapted from Pioneer Woman)
2 Eggs – Large and Lightly Beaten
2 ¼ Cup of Whole Milk
3 Tsp of Vanilla
4 Tbs of Melted Butter
1 ½ Cup of All-purpose Flour
1 ½ Cup of Yellow Cornmeal
½ Tsp of Salt
3 Tbs of Baking Powder
4 Tbs of Sugar
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch by ½ inch pieces. The thickness should range from ¼ - ½ inch in thickness. The chicken skin should be removed.
- Season the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beaten egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Heat a large pot (we used a sauce pan and my stove looked like a piece of fried chicken has exploded) with 3 inches of oil. We used canola oil. Keep tabs the temperature of the oil to prevent burning. It happened to the first set of chicken.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the batter.
- Remove any access batter and place in the oil to fry.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes depending on the sizes of each piece. The color of the batter should be golden brown. Test one of the larger pieces to check for doneness.
- Drain on a paper napkin to remove access oil.
1/3 Cup of Mustard
1/2 Cup of Honey
Mix well. You may want to add more honey if you like it sweeter.
Corn Bread Muffin
*I used the recipe from the box. The brand I used was Arnett and added a cup of thawed corn kernals
Sauces: Honey Mustard, Ketchup, and Table Sryup (pancake batter = pancake sryup)