Welcome to my first attempt to a Baking Partners challenge. On this episode we will be making Julia Child’s Reine de Saba avec Glacage au Chocolat: Chocolate Almond Cake.
Happy 100th Birthday
Reine de Saba avec Glacage au Chocolat
(Excerpted from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. Copyright © 1961 by Alfred A. Knopf. Reprinted with permission from the publisher Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc)
8 Inch Cake
4 Onces/113.4 Grams of Semi-sweet Chocolate Melted
2 Tbs of Rum or Coffee (I used coffee)
1 Stick/1/4 LB of Soften Butter
2/3 Cup/134 Grams of Granulated Sugar + 1 Tbs for Egg Whites
3 Eggs Separated
A pinch of Salt
1/3 Cup/65 Grams of Ground Almonds
½ Tsp of Almond Extract
½ Cup / 57 Gram of Sifted Cake FlourDirections
- Preheat oven to 350F/180 C.
- Prepare the cake pan with flour and butter.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or large bowl over a pot of simmering water) with the coffee.
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture becomes fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add the egg yolks and mix until it is well incorporated.
- In yet another bowl, whip at a medium speed the egg whites and salt until soft peaks are formed - accelerating the speed slowly. Gradually add the sugar and whip until the egg whites become stiff peaks. Set the bowl aside.
- Take the egg yolk mixture and fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Mix in the grounded almonds and almond extract.
- Take ¼ of the egg whites and fold it in batter to lighten it up.
- Fold in another 1/3 of the egg whites then 1/3 of the flour. Alternate the egg whites and flour until it is completely incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the cake is cooked through. The center may be a little soft but a toothpick may just come out oily.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in pan and then remove from the pan. Allow the the cake to cook for an hour to 2 to be completely cool.
- Prepare the Icing
Chocolate Icing2 Ounces/56.7 Grams of Semisweet Baking Chocolate
2 Tbs of Rum or Coffee
5 to 6 Tbs of Unsalted Butter
- Fill out a bowl with water and ice. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate and rum/coffee into the double boiler and melt the chocolate over simmering water..
- Remove from the heat and mix until the chocolate mixture is smoothe.
- Beat in the butter at a table spoon at a time.
- Place the bowl into the water/ice bath and mix until it has cooled enough to have a consistency that is spreadable.
- Spread over the cake.
Baking Partners are