Lijit

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Kulinarya Dec '11 - Prime Rib Tocino






How is it Christmas this week?!?!  I know I say it repeatedly that time flies but it does.  I started off good and got the bulk of my shopping done early.  For this challenge, instead of picking a dish I thought of a meal I would serve.  I than realized I don’t eat the normal Filipino Christmas dinners.  Instead the main course is a dish I make for special occasions but Filipinoized (hopefully you get my meaning).  Due to a chocolate class with the Husband that morning, I was a little tight on time for challenge.  You know me, I’m always rushing at the last minute to get stuff done.  The main course was Tocino prime rib.  I must warn you, you need extra set of seasoning to be injected into the meat.  It is so thick that the favor only penetrated to the skin.  

Tocino Prime Rib
3 Lbs of Bone in Prime Rib
3 Packages of Either Already Made Tocino seasoning or homemade.  I used the Mama Sita.
½ Cup of Water
Directions

  1. Take two of the mixes and rub it all over the prime rib.
  2. *I wish I did this step: take the last pack and mix it with ½ a cup of water. Fill a flavor injector tool with the marinade.  Inject the prime rib.
  3. Let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.
  4. Next day: pre-heat the oven to 400 F
  5. Place the prime rib in a heated skillet and sear the rib until it has a nice char on all sides.  Similar to regular tocino.
  6. Remove the skillet from the heat.  Drape a piece of foil over it and place in the oven to cook for 3 hours.
  7. Remove it from the oven when it reaches the desired temp (this depends on how well you like your steaks).
  8. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
  9. Serve















I served this with rice and my vegetarian palabok.  For dessert I tried to make a buche de noel cake but that did not come out pretty at all.  I can’t seem to frost cakes that well.  The Husband said it looked like a boot.  I’m going to try again for Christmas.  I did make another dish that to me is Christmas.  This is probably due to my grandmother making it ever year for Christmas.  Almond jello in fruit cocktail.  Instead of making on big sheet, I made them into jigglers (like the Jell-o kind).  

Almond Jigglers
1 Package of Almond Jello
2 Packages of unflavored Gelatin
½ Can of Fruit Cocktail.

Directions

  1. Prepare the jello as directed on the package than add the 2 packets of unflavored gelatin.
  2. Place the pieces of fruit in the molds or in a regular pan.
  3. Pour the mixture over the fruit.  Place it in the fridge to have it set for a couple of hours.  
  4. Serve




























Posted by Picasa

kulinarya cooking club
Check out the other members posts.

10 comments:

  1. Red meat is my weakness in the kitchen ,I have a lot of trouble cooking it. I do enjoy it and that Prime Rib looks awesome. Like the injecting spices into it. The Almond Jigglers are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like mine medium rare Joy ... juicy, tender and flavorful. Your concept to fuse Filipino flavor with prime rib is so ingenious. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So succulent and tender! Cute almond jigglers.
    Have a wonderful holiday season!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! tocino is my comfort food... this prime rib tocino takes it to a whole new level..Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. look good, please cut a good slice Happy Holiday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody. It came out really well.
    @cheap - the meat thermometer is my friend and the husband who is the meat cooking pro.
    @dad dont worry ill make some when you are in town

    Happy holidays everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great, delish idea for prime rib! My family will love this.Happy Holidays, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for passing from my blog.The prime rib looks succulent and delicious. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy it looks heavenly delicious! Hope you had a happy Christmas.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, that rare cut up top looks amazing! And I like how the tree jiggler thingy came out....though jello still weirds me out :D

    ReplyDelete