Lijit

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Alphabet Fishing

I have been slacking a little on The Daughter’s “class-time”.  I wanted to keep her on the same schedule as she did at school but I failed.  Especially since I tend to get up around 10 instead of 7 like she is used to.  I try to do activities with her but it always resulted into the same thing – coloring.  Thank goodness for Sesame Street and some other educational videos I have. 
I finally got motivated the other day and sat down with her to make a fish game.  I wanted do something educational and that she could play with again.  I got this idea from the Disney Website but I did alter the game just slightly.



Materials
4-5 sheets of different colored felt
27 little magnets
Glue
Glitter Glue or Puffy Paint
Stickers to Decorate the fish (I used felt stickers)
Scissors
A piece of ribbon
A Stick (I actually used one of The Brothers Mallets)
A Paper Clip (I ran out of paper clips so I used one of The Daughter’s Barrett)
Directions
  1. Cut out fish from the felt.  I didn’t have a guide so some of my kinda looks funny.  I made them about 3 inches long and about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall.  You need 26 fish.  I didn’t do the numbers just yet. 
  2. Glue a magnate to each of the fish.  Let it dry.
  3. Use the glitter glue to write out a letter on each fish.
  4. Decorate with the stickers.
  5. Tie the ribbon to the stick to create a fishing pole. 
  6. Tie the paper clip to the end of the ribbon.
  7. Have Fun!
IMG_5127
Try to scatter the fish so they are not in the order of the alphabet.
IMG_5128
I used The Son’s towel since it was blue
IMG_5131IMG_5132
The Daughter had fun putting the stickers.  She didn’t always agree on what Mommy said
IMG_5133
I had to put her a little higher to make it harder to get the fish

Every time she got a new fish, I would quiz her on what letter it was.  I hope that fish she plays this enough, she will start recognizing the alphabet.

8 comments:

  1. This is a great and fun educational game. I'm amazed at your creativity and energy.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This.is.so.cool! What a fun and great idea :) Eventually, once she masters the letter. You can still play this game and have her give you words that starts with the letter :) Just an idea. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingenious and fun the create at home. Watch out Mattel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And super creative!

    ReplyDelete