Search This Blog


Thursday, July 7, 2011

Alphabet Fishing

I have been slacking a little on The Daughter’s “class-time”.  I wanted to keep her on the same schedule as she did at school but I failed.  Especially since I tend to get up around 10 instead of 7 like she is used to.  I try to do activities with her but it always resulted into the same thing – coloring.  Thank goodness for Sesame Street and some other educational videos I have. 
I finally got motivated the other day and sat down with her to make a fish game.  I wanted do something educational and that she could play with again.  I got this idea from the Disney Website but I did alter the game just slightly.

4-5 sheets of different colored felt
27 little magnets
Glitter Glue or Puffy Paint
Stickers to Decorate the fish (I used felt stickers)
A piece of ribbon
A Stick (I actually used one of The Brothers Mallets)
A Paper Clip (I ran out of paper clips so I used one of The Daughter’s Barrett)
  1. Cut out fish from the felt.  I didn’t have a guide so some of my kinda looks funny.  I made them about 3 inches long and about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall.  You need 26 fish.  I didn’t do the numbers just yet. 
  2. Glue a magnate to each of the fish.  Let it dry.
  3. Use the glitter glue to write out a letter on each fish.
  4. Decorate with the stickers.
  5. Tie the ribbon to the stick to create a fishing pole. 
  6. Tie the paper clip to the end of the ribbon.
  7. Have Fun!
Try to scatter the fish so they are not in the order of the alphabet.
I used The Son’s towel since it was blue
The Daughter had fun putting the stickers.  She didn’t always agree on what Mommy said
I had to put her a little higher to make it harder to get the fish

Every time she got a new fish, I would quiz her on what letter it was.  I hope that fish she plays this enough, she will start recognizing the alphabet.


  1. This is a great and fun educational game. I'm amazed at your creativity and energy.:)

  2. oh that is so fun and creative!

  3.! What a fun and great idea :) Eventually, once she masters the letter. You can still play this game and have her give you words that starts with the letter :) Just an idea. Great job.

  4. Ingenious and fun the create at home. Watch out Mattel.

  5. So cute! And super creative!