It seems like forever since I participated in this challenge or maybe it just seems like a while. For this month, our challenge was to make a Thanksgiving appetizer. In my family, we normally don’t mess with appetizers and go straight to the main course but I wanted to add one just incase we had to wait for something to finish cooking (this time it was rice). Unfortunately, I didn’t realize until it was too late that I didn’t seal the pastry dough well enough and the cheese leaked out a little. It was still good even with the cheese oozing out. I have seen many versions of this dish. My favorite brie pairing is figs. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any around so I decided to incorporate some of the cranberry sauce I had with the brie.
Baked Brie and Cranberries
Puff pastry (homemade or store bought)
One Wheel of brie (what ever size you would like)
Cranberry chutney (look below for recipe)
- Fold out the puff pastry and make sure it is large enough to cover the brie.
- Layer about 3-4 tablespoons of cranberry chutney in the center a puff pastry leaving about 2-3 inches from the edge.
- Place the brie with the skin on top of the cranberries.
- Fold over the edges, make sure it completely covers the brie.
- Take an egg wash and seal the edges together (this step I forgot)
- Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes.
- Brush an egg wash about 10 minutes prior removing it from the oven.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and than serve.
Yeah it kinda looks funny, when I took this, it started to deflate.
1 package of fresh or frozen cranberries – about 12 oz.
1 Cup of Water
1 Cup of Raw Sugar
Juice of One Orange
2 Teaspoon of Grated Orange Peel
- Put everything in a medium sauce pan.
- Start heating up the pan at a medium-high heat and bring it to a boil.
- Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to a medium-low heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- While it is cooking, you could help it out by breaking up the cranberries.
- Once it thickens, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes or until it is completely cool.
Check out My Kitchen Addiction for the other posts.