Japanese-Style White Bread Loaf (Milk Bread)
(Adapted from Corner Cafe)
350 Grams of Bread Flour
1 Tbl of Milk Powder
30 Grams of Sugar
5 Grams of Salt
7 Grams of Instant Dry Yeast
150 mL Lukewarm Water
30 Grams of Butter, Cubed
Water-Roux Paste (also referred as Tangzhong)
20 Grams of Bread Flour
100 mL Water
- First, mix the bread flour and water to create the roux in a small saucepan and cook at a medium heat.
- Once the roux forms, remove from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Sift together the bread flour, milk powder, sugar, and salt into a large KitchenAid mixing bowl.
- Add the yeast and mix well on medium speed.
- Add the roux to the dry ingredients.
- Once it is well incorporated, slowly add the water until the dough forms a slightly sticky and soft dough.
- Remove from the mixer and knead the dough by hand until it is smooth and elastic. During the kneading process, throw the dough onto the work surface a few times to remove the air.
- Than knead in the butter until it is well incorporated.
- Let it proof in a greased bowl for about an hour.
- When the dough doubles in size, punch out the air and than divide it into 5 equal portions.
- Form into balls and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Prep 23 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm pan, I used a Pullman pan.
- When the dough has properly rested, form it into 30 cm logs and place into the prepared bread pan.
- Let it rise again about an hour.
- Cook the bread at 350F for about 25-30 minutes until it is a golden brown.