Growing up, I was very limited to what I was able to eat (stupid allergies). Most parents wouldn’t want their children to eat a lot of process foods but my parents didn’t have a choice. I was allergic to pretty much everything. Thankfully I got over almost all my allergies except for the occasional seafood or strawberry (I know, it sucks) reaction. I had a lot of mac and cheese, spam, and hamburger helper as a child. As I was asking The Husband what he wanted for dinner, he mentioned hamburger helper (both of us tend to have taste buds of a 5-year old). I thought to myself, why not make it from scratch at least there will be real cheese instead of the powder stuff. It was a big hit in my house :D.
My rendition of hamburger helper1 Tbl of Flour
3 Tbl of Butter
1 Box of Pasta of Your Choice (I used Mostacolli)
1 Lb of Cheddar Cheese Shredded
1 Lb of Mozzerella Cheese Shredded
1 Cup of Parmasean Cheese
1 Lb of Ground Beef
1 Onion Diced
1 Garlic Minced
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cook the pasta until becomes al dente.
- In a large skillet cook the onion and garlic in a little butter
- When the onions become translucent, add the ground beef and season to taste.
- In another large pot, add the flour and the rest of the butter to create a roux.
- When the mixture is fully incorporated, add the cream into the pot and mix well..
- When the cream comes to a boil, add the shredded cheeses one type at a time while continually whisking.
- When all the cheese is completely melted, add the ground beef and pasta. Completely coat both with the cheese mixture.