Lijit

Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

Hamburger Helper Remake


Growing up, I was very limited to what I was able to eat (stupid allergies). Most parents wouldn’t want their children to eat a lot of process foods but my parents didn’t have a choice. I was allergic to pretty much everything. Thankfully I got over almost all my allergies except for the occasional seafood or strawberry (I know, it sucks) reaction. I had a lot of mac and cheese, spam, and hamburger helper as a child. As I was asking The Husband what he wanted for dinner, he mentioned hamburger helper (both of us tend to have taste buds of a 5-year old). I thought to myself, why not make it from scratch at least there will be real cheese instead of the powder stuff. It was a big hit in my house :D.


My rendition of hamburger helper
1 Tbl of Flour
3 Tbl of Butter
1 Box of Pasta of Your Choice (I used Mostacolli)
1 Lb of Cheddar Cheese Shredded
1 Lb of Mozzerella Cheese Shredded
1 Cup of Parmasean Cheese
1 Lb of Ground Beef
1 Onion Diced
1 Garlic Minced
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions 
  1. Cook the pasta until becomes al dente.
  2. In a large skillet cook the onion and garlic in a little butter
  3. When the onions become translucent, add the ground beef and season to taste.
  4. In another large pot, add the flour and the rest of the butter to create a roux.
  5. When the mixture is fully incorporated, add the cream into the pot and mix well..
  6. When the cream comes to a boil, add the shredded cheeses one type at a time while continually whisking.
  7. When all the cheese is completely melted, add the ground beef and pasta. Completely coat both with the cheese mixture.
  8. Serve.

12 comments:

  1. That stinks that you were allergic to so many things growing up! This meal looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm embarrassed to admit that I still love a box of the real HH every once in a while... hahaa.. Thislooks much better though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I bet this would be great homemade. I never even thought to try it before. PS, I have a giveaway on my blog right now that I think you might be interested in! Stop by to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. You might check out "Glop" on my blog - another take on the mac and cheese dinner. Aren't you glad you're over most of the allergies?? What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. duh - my blog is kateiscooking.blogspot.com... helps to have that info, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sad that you have food allergies... I hope you get over everything soon :) so you can try anything you want.
    This recipe sounds amazing and perfect for family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really takes me back, my Mom had to feed a house full of teenagers and often used HH with veggies added just to keep us quiet. Great post !

    ReplyDelete
  8. We only had hh once in a while, but I still remember how much I loved it. Your recreation looks so much better. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit to the occasional craving for hamburger helper, boxed mac and cheese and even frozen pizza. Must be a cry for childhood. This looks wonderful though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making dishes with fresh ingredients is always better than processed foods. I never thought of doing it either for HH, but I would ground turkey for the ground beef.

    ReplyDelete