This is always a favorite in my house. The Daughter generally would eat two at a time. It is so simple but just time consuming. Turon is generally made with brown sugar, Saba banana and jack fruit but here in Chicago, I can't seem to find Saba banana so I have to settle with plantains. I call it banana egg rolls for my non-Filipino friends :D It is essentially an egg roll made with bananas. The nice thing you could actually freeze (I love freezing everything I could) this and make it any time you want.
3-4 Really ripe Saba Banana (or Plantains)
1 Jar of Jack Fruit
1 Package of egg roll wrapper (The Filipino one is better for this than the Chinese version)
2-3 Cups of Brown Sugar
- Separate the egg roll wrappers since they are probably in one large stack (this was my normal job when The Mother was making this)
- Slice the bananas into 1/2 inch thick slices. I could probably get 6-8 pieces out of a banana depending on the length.
- Dip one of the slices into the brown sugar and make sure it is fully coated.
- Place it on the bottom 1/3 of the egg roll wrapper and place a piece of jack fruit on top.
- Fold over the bottom and sides to make a rectangle and start rolling. If i have confused you, please refer to the pictures below :D
- Use a little water to dampen the end of the wrapper to get it to stick to the roll.
- Deep fry and drain the oil
*Option if you would like, add some brown sugar and butter in a skillet and drip the turon into to make a nice sugar coating :D
These are Saba Banana...cute huh?
Here is the wrapper we used
Dipping the banana in the brown sugar
1. 2. 3.
And it is rolled :D
This is The Brother's handy work....let just say, he was trying to avoid cleaning and decided to do this.