Lijit

Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Rustic Pear Tart and Fig Jam

My monthly book club was coming up and we read Julie and Julia.  I was amazed I didn't read it yet but than again I have been busy experimenting.  I also lost my four hour commute to work and back.  I wish I had more reading time but it doesn't always work out that way.  So to continue my reading habit I started a book club with two of my cousins and a couple of friends.  Each of us take a turn to pick a book and we meet once a month to discuss, eat, and gossip.  I wanted to make someone out of the Julia Child's cookbook but I saw I had pears so I made a rustic tart and some Fig Jam.  I'm sure I'll get some debate on this but I didn't really like the book.  I like the movie better than the book.  Julie Powell is a bit whiny for my taste.  I love the part in the movie with Julia.  I believe I'll read her book next when I have a chance.  Off topic again, sorry about that.  Since we were watching the movie, I made some fig jam for a snack.  What goes best with figs?  Brie so I brought some with multi-grain crackers.  You know to be healthy :D.  I got the recipe from Swirl and Scramble
Directions
500gr fresh figs (approx 6-7 figs) * I couldn't find fresh so I used dried figs
250gr sugar
250gr water * add a little more like 300 grs due if you use dried figs
1/2 a lemon, juice of
250gr walnuts, chopped  * I only had enough for 70 grs
1gr ground cloves * Totally though I had some, I did not so I had to opt using pumpkin spice mix
    (approx 1/2 teaspoon- but you can reduce this to 1/4 teaspoon if you find it too strong)
Directions

  1. Wash figs, dice and place in a pot.

  2. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the walnuts and the cloves. Place on high heat, until a first boil.

  3. Then reduce to a very low heat until all the water has evaporated and a jam texture is obtained.

  4. Add the walnuts and cloves, stir gently, and leave on low heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool for 24hours.  Cover the pot with a cloth only- no glass or plastic material should be used to cover pot. Fill in jars and enjoy!
So my Misadventure

  1. I didn't dice the figs enough, I should have make them smaller

  2. I got impatient and I put the heat to high and it almost made the liquid to the soft ball state of candy making.

  3. I didn't read the directions fully and I made it the day I needed it. 
Otherwise it came out good.  Especially with the brie, that was the best part.
The rustic tart I tried prior with a different pie dough recipe.  I adapted this from the Simple Recipes website with a few upgrades on the recipe.
Almond pie crust
Ingredients
2 1/2 Cups of All Purpose  *Reserve some extra flour for rolling
1 Cup (2 sticks) of unsalted cold butter - cube into 1/2 inches
1 Teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar *It stated to be a teaspoon but I like a sweeter crust
4 to 8 Tablespoon of ice water
2 Tablespoons of Ground Almonds
Directions

  1. The butter needs to be ice cold so you might want to put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes. 

  2. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a mixer, food processor, or even by hand. 

  3. Add the butter until it is thoroughly mixed.

  4. Add water until it become a ball. 

  5. Take the ground almonds and mix in the dough as you knead the dough.  *You can add this in step 2 but I kinda forgot about it.

  6. Wrap in Saran wrap and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.

  7. Remove from fridge and let it sit at until it reaches room temperature

  8. Roll it out until it is a 1/8 inch thick *Btw I suck at this

  9. Place the pear slices in a circular motion.  Leave about 1/2 an inch to an inch of dough at the edge.

  10. Sprinkle some sliced almonds over the filling.

  11. Pull up the edges where it overs filling.

  12. Place on a cookie sheet.

  13. Bake for about 20 minutes. 

  14. 15 minutes in, brush with a egg wash.

  15. Serve warm with ice cream.
Pear filling
2 Pears any brand sliced thinly *ok really I don't know what kind I used.
2 Tablespoon of sugar
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice *optional
Direction
  1. Take the slice pears and coat it with the sugar and lemon juice. 
  2. Let it marinate for a couple of minutes
 

1 comment:

  1. pears and figs! what an obviously great combination that I never thought of lol. this is so yum!

    ReplyDelete