Lijit

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Whole Wheat Pan de Sal Experiment

Whole Wheat Pan de Sal part 1



So I'm this journey in prefecting my pan de sal.  I do have The Mother's recipe but the only problem is the lack of a really good mixer.  My may be a kitchenaid but I keep burning out the motor with the recipe.  So I figured, I'll just hunt for another recipe that may not be as dense as The Mother's recipe.  I searched and found this recipe.  The tastes was pretty good but a little too dry.  I personally think it is how I layed out the buns on the cookie sheet and how long it cooked.  I do like the taste so I am currently performing some tests to see which one comes out better. 

Original Recipe - Whole wheat pan de sal
Ingredients
1 cup warm water

4 tbsp butter soften
1 large egg
2 cups bread flour
1 1/4 cup whole wheat
1/4 cup sugar + 1 tsp
1 tsp salt
2 packs active yeast or 2 and 1/2 tsps to one packet of yeast


Directions
I first put the warm water into a bowl and added the yeast and a tsp of sugar to assist in the blooming of the yeast.  This lasted about 15 minutes.  While that was blooming, I creamed the butter and slowly added the sugar.  Once that was fully incorporated, I added the egg and salt.  I slowly added the bread flour and than the whole wheat.  Once the yeast fully bloomed (btw this is a debate between myself and The Husband, we are trying to mathemically figure out how long is appropriate for the yeast to rise) add this to the dough mixture.  Once it is fully incorporated and forms in to a ball, let it rise for at least an hour (again this is on debate between The Husband and myself).  We have been reading on a procedure called sponge and dough method.  This method requires rising from 4 to 6 hours.  I'm just worried about over developing the yeast.  If you have any suggestions, that would be great!
Once the dough doubled in size, I rolled them out and covered them in bread crumbs.  I place them on the cookie sheet kind of close together and at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  I think I have to do it a shorter time.  My mistake was putting too many on one cookie sheet so the middle rolls were not cooked as wells as the outer ones.  Next time, I'm placing them 2 x 4 to ensure all the pan de sals are cooked at the same rate.  Here are some pictures of my progress:

 
   
 
 

Whole Wheat pan de sal Part 2
Directions
2 Cups of Warm Ater
2 Tsp active yeast
2 Large Eggs
8 Tbsp butter soften
3 Cups of Bread Flour
2 1/4 Cup of Whole Wheat
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Salt

I used the same procedures as above and it came out better but not as sweet.  I do have a confession to make, this alteration was a mistake one my side.  I accidently switched the yeast mixture of a different experiment I was doing so I had way too much liquid.  I added another cupe of each type of flour to compensate but I should have added more sugar too.  I don't have pictures of these as of yet.  But I'll up date this post as soon as I do.

Pan de sal is my focus for a while until I get it perfect.  Next, pan de leche (hopefully!).

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your experience, i will try it too. also, i will be looking forward to your pan de leche. all the best.

    ReplyDelete