Lijit

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Marx foods Mystery Box

IMG_6331







What do you turn to when you are staring at your computer at work and you can’t seem to think anymore?  I ponder recipes and food combos that I would want to try.  I slightly drive The Best Friend (Girl) crazy.  Some days, I talk about food with her all day which equals hunger on her side (sorry).  This occurred when I received a mystery box of ingredients from Marx Foods, a very unique grocery store.  They are holding a recipe contest with a mystery box of ingredients.  I received Trumpet Mushrooms, Habanero peppers, Chipotle Chiles, Coconut Sugar, and Mochi Rice (I totally lucked out on this one).  
IMG_6319


I picked The Best Friend’s mind and we came with up a mole sauce with all the peppers.  I also  choose to use the sauce to top the fried chicken and Mochi rice.  I was able to incorporate all of the ingredients which was a risk but I believe I pulled it off.  

Chicken Mole with Mochi Rice
Mole Sauce
2 Cups of Milk Chocolate
1 Tsp of Dried Chipotle Chiles
1 Pod of Dried Habanero Pepper - I removed the seeds to tone down the heat
3 Tbs of Coconut Sugar
1 Cup of Trumpet Mushrooms (re-hydrated in water for about 5 minutes)
1 Can of Tomato Paste
3 Cups of Water
1 Tbs of Cinnamon
1 Tbs of Nutmeg
1 Tbs of Cloves
1 Onion Diced
3 Cloves of Garlic Diced
Direction
  1. Take a deep skillet and toast the chipotle chiles, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.  
  2. Add the Garlic and Onions to the skillet.
  3. Once the seasoning starts to cook, add the tomato paste, water, mushrooms, and habanero pepper.
  4. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes to get all of the favor into the sauce.
  5. Add the chocolate an sugar to sweeten the sauce.
  6. Reduce the heat to a light simmer and cook until it thickens.
  7. Remove from the heat and set aside.
IMG_6322

IMG_6324



Fried Chicken
1 lb of Chicken Breast
1 Cup of Flour
Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder to Taste
2 Eggs
Directions
  1. Heat a pan with quite of oil to deep fry the chicken.
  2. Mix the flour with the salt, pepper, and garlic.
  3. Beat the eggs.
  4. Dip the chicken into the eggs than coat with the flour.
  5. Fry the chicken.
  6. Let it drain and set aside.

Mochi Rice
1 Cup of Mochi Rice
1 Cup of Water
*I prepared the rice in a rice cooker but you are able to cook it in a sauce pan.  Just remember to continually stir rice to prevent burning.  
Assembly
  1. Place the chicken over a small mound of rice and top it with the mole.
  2. Serve
IMG_6328


This was the first time I tried to make mole and I kinda took ingredients of various mole recipes I enjoy.  

I had some left over rice so I decided to make a mochi dessert.  You know how much I LOVE mochi.  It was a challenge making a mochi dough out of cooked rice but I did some do some research to figure out how to do it.  If I had more time and less distraction (The Daughter), I would have been able to get it smoother.  



Horchata Mochi Dough
½ Cup of Hot Cooked Mochi Rice
2 Tbs of Coconut Sugar
1 Tsp of Cinnamon
Direction
  1. Take the rice still warm from the rice cooker or pot and place it in a mortar.
  2. Add the sugar and cinnamon on the rice.
  3. Start to smash the rice until it is it becomes elastic-paste like.
  4. Once it be comes harmonious, set it aside.
IMG_6341

Mexican Chocolate Ganache
600 g of Milk Chocolate
200 G of Heavy Cream
1 Tsp of Dried Chipotle Chiles
1 Pod of Dried Habanero Peppers
2 Tsp of Cinnamon (I Really like cinnamon for this challenge)
Direction
  1. Heat the cream until it is a gentle boil.
  2. Add the chiles, peppers, and cinnamon.  Let it soak for 5 minutes to get the flavor into the cream.
  3. Place a strainer over the chocolate and pour the cream over the chocolate to melt the chocolate.
  4. Stir well than set aside.
Assemble
  1. Coat the work area with corn starch to prevent sticking.  
  2. Take about a 1 inch ball of the mochi dough and flatten it out into a disk.
  3. Place a small ball of the ganache in the center.
  4. Bring up the sides to create a ball.
  5. Heat up a skillet with a little oil
  6. Place the mochi in the pan to cook the dough.
  7. Once it toasts slightly, remove from the pan and serve.
IMG_6342
IMG_6362
IMG_6357

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks pretty cool. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks scrumptious. Love mochi rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never seen mochi rice before but I like what you did with it. The chocolate ganache sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you're very creative and they all look yummy.:)

    The ganache sounds really spicy with the addition of habanero.

    ReplyDelete