Lijit

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Halibut Sinigang

IMG_5462



I don’t know about you but I swear the summer has been flying by.  It was just the 4th of July.  I had to rush to make this month’s theme for the Kulinarya Cooking Club.  July’s theme is sinigang.  Sinigang to me is a perfect soup for all seasons.  The warmth of the broth during the winter and fall.  The tartness from the lemons and tamarind is so refreshing during the spring and summer.  I normally make the beef version but I wanted to try something different.  I normally don’t get a chance  to cook fish at home due to The Daughter but I found some great cuts of halibut.  I found the halibut was good but if you ate it for a couple of days (I really have to stop cooking for 10 people), the fish got a little dry during the re-heat process.  This time I made the broth from scratch instead of the mix.  I actually had some tamarind squirreled away in my pantry.  It came out pretty good knowing I forgot to season the fish. 
Halibut Sinigang
1/4 Cup of Dried Tamarind (Fresh would be better)
Juice from 2 Limes (lemons or calamansi would work too)
2 Halibut Steaks (about 3 lbs)
3 Cups of Sliced Bok Choy
5 Cups of Fresh Spinach Sliced
3 Diced Tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Directions
  1. Take a large stock pot and fill it with water.  Add the tamarind, limes, and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.
  2. Season the halibut to your taste.  This is a must do.  Mine came out a little bland while the veggies and broth tasted good.
  3. When the stock comes to a boil, add the halibut into the broth and cook for about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the spinach and bok choy.  Cook for another 5-10 minutes until the halibut starts to break apart.
  5. Serve (with rice preferable if I could have some Sad smile )
IMG_5460IMG_5466

Please stop by the other member’s page to see how they tackled this challenge. 
kulinarya cooking club

14 comments:

  1. I wonder what Halibut tastes like...nice take on sinigang...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broth from scratch and not powder?? I didn't know such a thing existed! Does it come out as sour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer is not yet over here...well, 17 degrees, cloudy, and rainy....
    Love your fish sinigang...very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of my fave fish cooked into sinigang .... that's a yes for me ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful, I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! Another must try Seafood Sinigang for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Halibut Steak in sinigang! To me, that is bit of a high end kinda fish. Okay, what am I talking about? To me, even galungong is high end. :p I would try using halibut next time I cook fish sinigang. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm healthy and yummy fish sinigang! I love that you made your broth from scratch..good for you :) I like opening a packet of mix these day, I'm so lazy lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom makes something similar to this, minus the fish. It looks good...and very healthy :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very nutritious dish. I would be all smiles if I can have that for lunch and dinner :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything in this - and halibut is one of my favorite fish. Which I also cannot make too much because of the daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love sinigang. You are right about it being the perfect soup for all season. Love the use of halibut.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fish sinigang is perfect with rice and patis.:)

    ReplyDelete