Lijit

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Empanada

One of the first recipes I really masters is Empanada.  I initially used my mother's recipe but I switched to my Aunt's recipe.  The main difference is the lack of egg.  The dough is similar to a pie dough and this version is for baking instead of frying like traditional empanada.  Sorry I can't give you my secret recipe but I will be able to show you how to make them :D. 

Filling
Ground meat (Beef, Pork, or Chicken)
Carrots
Potato
Raisin
Garlic
Onion
Peas

First dice up the garlic and onion.  Cut the potatoes and carrots into little cubes.  I generally use frozen peas instead of fresh.  Sautee the garlic and onions until the onions are translucent.  Add the ground meat to the pan to brown.  After the meat is cooked, add the potato, carrots, and peas to the meat.  Once the vegetables are cooked through, turn off the burner and add the raisins.  Let the mixture cool and start prepping the dough. 

There is two ways to prep the dough.
If you have an empanada press, it would be easier to make.  Roll out the dough and place the dough into the form.  Place the meat mixture into the middle of the dough and fold the press together. 

If you don't have an empanada press, roll out the dough and cut out large circles out of the dough.  Place the meat mixture in the center of the circle.  Pinch the edges together. 

Place the empanada on a cookie pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Brush an egg wash on the empanada once the appearance looks cooked.  Bake for another 5-10 minutes until the egg wash is cooked. 

3 comments:

  1. Empanada is one of my favorites!! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorgeous empanada version that can make happy to everybody :)

    Cheers,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete