I hope everybody is having a good 4th of July. This year we are keeping it pretty low key but we always do is a BBQ. Currently, I am marinating a rack of beef ribs and hanging out with the kids. I am still debating what else to make for dinner. I was considering making something traditional like apply pie but my apple pies are always iffy (if you remember my past attempt).
Here is one recipe that can be a good alternative. I actually made this for The Brother's birthday.
Apple Cream Puff Cake Topped with Salted Caramel
(A really long name)
Pate a Chous Recipe
(adapted from Steamy Kitchen)
* like this one because it is an easy ratio: 1
1 Cup of Water
1 Stick of Butter
1 Cup of Flour
1 Cup of Eggs
1 Tsp of Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 425F
- Place the water and butter in a medium sauce pan on a medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the butter is melted.
- Add the salt and flour then stir quickyly to make sure the flour doesn't clumps up.
- Remove from the heat and transfer it to a bowl.
- Mix in the eggs - I did this by hand due to lack of a mixer but I would use a mixer. It got a little difficult to mix.
- Once all of the eggs is completely incorporated, put it in a piping bag.
- Pipe a large circle. * See below (I may try just making a large circle instead of piping it)
- Bake for 10 minutes and reduce the heat to 350F and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Set aside
(adapted from allrecipes)
*I reduced the recipe by a 1/3 since I didn't need that much
6 Cups of Chunks of Granny Smith Apples
1 Tbs of Lemon Juice
1 1/2 Cup of Sugar
1//3 Cup of Corn Starch
1 Tsp of Ground Cinnamon
1 Tsp of Salt
1 Tsp of Ground Nutmeg
3 Cups of Water
- First coat the apples with the lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Mix in the corn starch, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Place in a large stock pot.
- Add the water.
- Bring to a boil at a medium high heat and let it boil for 2 minutes - stir. Reduce to a light simmer and continue to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes.
I used my favorite chocolate caramel recipe.
- Take the first layer of cream puffs on the platter.
- Spread the apple filling. There may be access depending on how much you want.
- Place the second layer on top.
- Spread the caramel sauce on top and sprinkle a little kosher salt on top.
After we did damage to this...btw there was 5 adults and 1 child eating this