Last week, I have been trying to get a ton of stuff completed before our second child comes and our world goes upside down for a couple of months again. I am being very good and organizing the whole house, getting some of my homework done sooner, and as you know from last week planning meals. As I was planning out what to eat, I didn’t realize how little we ate or I cook enough for 10 people. Probably a little bit of both.
As part of my meal planning, I actually just really cooked twice. The first meal was on Sunday than on Wednesday. It also helped that I was meeting up with friends twice that week for dinner.
My first meal was a roasted chicken and baked sweet potatoes. I never actually made a roasted chicken. It was always so intimidating to me. Too much of a risk in under and over cooking it. It also takes a while to make. This is why I deep fry our turkey each year. I also prepped a 3-layer lasagna.
Roasted Chicken Grecian Style
1 Whole Chicken
2 Bay Leaves
Rub *Measurement is to taste
Lemon Juice (you could use the juice of the lemons for the stuffing)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F
- Covered the chicken with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together and rub it all over the bird.
- Stuff the bird with the lemons and bay leaves.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Let it rest for about 15 minutes and than serve.
While the bird was cooking, I also baked the sweet potatoes. Make sure you poke some holes into the potatoes so it won’t explode (I have done this before)
We destroyed the except for a small part of the chicken breast. So I make fried rice with random veggies I had in the fridge. Green beans, green onions, garlic and rice. It was something quick since it was just myself and The Daughter.
The next thing I prepped was lasagna. I actually made it on Sunday, froze it , and than cooked it on Weds. I made so much lasagna that I am not sick of it .
1 Pack of Lasagna Noodles
16 Oz or more of either sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese.
2 Jars of Tomato sauce (I only used one and it was not enough)
1 Package of Sweet Italian Sausage *Removed from the casing
32 Oz of Ricotta Cheese
16 Oz of Button Mushrooms Sliced
1 Zucchini Diced
4 Carrots Diced
2 Leeks Sliced *Divided in two
- Cook the noodles in salted boiling water. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- While the noodles are cooking, cook the Italian Sausage with 1/2 of the leeks.
- Once it is cooked remove from the pan and set a side.
- Cook the rest of the vegetables and than set aside
- Pour a layer of the tomato sauce to add flavor to prevent the bottom layer of noodles from burning.
- Place a thin layer of the cooked noodles on the plan.
- Smear the ricotta cheese on the noodles and than sprinkle the Italian sausage over the cheese.
- Layer another set of the lasagna noodles.
- Smear the ricotta cheese and than sprinkle the veggies.
- Place take the rest of the noodles and layer it on top. *Depending on you pan, you might have more layers than 3 but I had a very large pan.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the whole thing and place the mozzarella cheese over the whole thing.
- Either freeze or bake at 400F for 45 minutes.
I didn’t even get a chance to make bread yet. Maybe this week…hopefully