So I have this love for Mexican food. I would pick Mexican over any other food, especially tamales. One of my friends in college’s mom made the best tamales. It has been a while since I had really good tamales so when I figured out how to make arepas, my next goal was tamales. My cousin has this great recipe pulled beef recipe (I actually thought it was pork). Every time I had it, I wanted to have it with a corn tortilla or in a tamale. I decided to try the recipe out. As soon as I get the OK from my Ate, I’ll share her recipe but here is the recipe I used for the masa.
* I mainly go by ration so it is one to one.
1 Cup of Instant Masa
1 Cup of Water
1/2 Cup of Cooked Corn
* I also put 3 Tbls of sugar but The Husbands says I shouldn’t.
- Take the corn husks and let it sit in water for at least 15 minutes to soften.
- While the corn husks are soaking, mix together all the ingredients except for the water.
- Slowly add the water until it starts to create a paste. Do not put too much water or it will not keep its form.
- Take the corn husk and lay it flat.
- Put a thin layer of the masa mixture (The first couple ones I made, I made it too thick)
- Place a small amount of the filling of your choice.
- Start rolling up the corn husk to great a tube.
- Once all the tamales assembled,
- I steamed mine in my steamer for about 20 minutes.
When we had it, it was good but it was missing something. Any suggestions, I’m totally open to it. BTW I’m currently prepping for The Daughter’s Birthday (I procrastinate – and I have to make my house into a haunted house :D) and a party I’m catering the day before so I may be MIA for a little while. Hopefully :D I may make this for The Daughter’s b-day, I’m still debating.