Most people are familiar with lumpia shanghai which is fried egg rolls. I actually grew up on the fresh version just because The Grandmother and Mother used to make them vegetarian. I made them only once before but I used the store bought wrapping it is best when you use fresh wrapping. Unluckily the wrapping is actually a crepe, I used to be able to make crepes when I was a teenager but since than I have not been successful. For The Brother's birthday, I decided I was going to try it again. Well, I almost wasted 1/2 the batch before I got the crepes coming out the way it should. So I ended up making two batches to use all the filling. The only part I messed up on was the sauce which I can't seem to remember the recipe. I knew I should have called The Mother to verify the recipe.
1 Sweet Potato
1/2 Of a Jimaca
1 Can of Chick Pea
4 Cups of Bean Sprouts
1 Package of Soft Tofu
1 Can of Bamboo Shoots
1/2 a Head of Cabbage
1 Clove of Minced Garlic
1 Sliced Onion
Salt and pepper
- Julian all the vegetables.
- Preheat a wok with your choice of oil. I would have use sesame oil or peanut but The Daughter is allergic. Than saute the garlic and onions.
- Saute the jicama, carrots, and sweet potatoes first.
- Than add the bean sprouts, tofu, chickpeas, and bamboo shoots. The tofu should break up and fully mix into the vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper.
- The filling is ready to be wrapped.
This is The Mother and Sisters cutting up the veggies when I was in California
(adapted from Allrecipe)
1 Cup or All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup of Milk
1/2 Cup or Water
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
2 Tablespoons of Melted Butter
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and mix well.
- Take a small skillet, make sure it is well greased, and place it over a medium heat to heat the pan.
- Pour a light layer of the mixture into the skillet while rotating the pan to make sure it forms a circle.
- Let it cook until it starts to come away from the pan and flip it. This is where I failed for a while. I tried to flip it too soon and I ended up using my fingers instead of a spatula.
- Let it cool
- Take the roman lettuce and put it on the bottom 1/3 of the crepe.
- Add the cooked filling and start rolling.
If you know a good sauce recipe, please let me know. I can't seem to remember it :D