Sometime last year, my friend Anna had some left over lemon curd she brought into work. We used to look forward to any of her left over food when she had a cake order :D. I never actually had lemon curd before and I totally fell in love with it. Especially when I spread it over a flaky croissant. Sweet and a little sour at the same time. Since than, I have been a little obsessed making Lemon Curd. When ever I have left over lemons, I always make it. I tend it use it quite a bit in jelly rolls.
1 Stick of unsalted Butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
½ Cup Lemon Juice
4 Large Eggs Beaten
- Put butter, sugar, juice, and zest into a glass bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water or you could use a double boiler. That is what I used.
- Let butter melt, then gradually whisk in the beaten eggs.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. If you don't continually stir, trust me, there are clumps and it is not as smooth as it should be.
- Once it thickens, remove the bowl or top pot from the water and let it cool.
- Transfer the curd into a clean jar and bring it to room temperate.
- Once at room temperature, you are able to refrigerate it up to a couple of weeks if it lasts that long.