Lijit

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Pan De Sal, Better than Ever

Whole wheat Pan De Sal Revised, Better than Ever!


I FINALLY got The  Mother to tell me how she does pan de sal.  Generally she just tells me, "I don't know..I just have to show you...may be next time".  Next time never comes so I just give up and try it myself.  She finally trusted me with her recipe for pan de sal.  Generally she has it it huge quantities but not everybody has a industrial mixer like her so we had to figure out how to alter the recipe.  BTW The Mother uses the weight system instead of measuring the ingredients.  You would think it is easier, no not as much, especially when we are using really small amounts.  The hard part of learning from The Mother, is that she is thousands miles away in California and her directions are not the greatest if she can't show it to you.  I generally have to watch her, and than I try myself for her to check my work, and than do it by myself with my mom close to the phone if I have a question.  As I grow as a baker and cook, I realize that I don't need to consult my parents as much (my dad is the cook in the family).  I am finally able to do things on my own.  Of course if you ask her, she will always say, that hers is better but according to The Husband, mine is.  Probably because I feed him, he has to say that :D.  Sorry I completely went off topic, I have been altering my whole wheat pan de sal for a couple of weeks now and I believe I finally got it right.  At least according to The Husband it did.  He is not an easy person to please.  The key to this recipe is letting the dough rise.  Myself being extremely impatient, it is such a hard task for me to do.  But I forced myself to do something else, aka Cafe World on Facebook and reruns of Biggest Loser :D. 

Ingredients
First set:
1 Cup of Warm Water
2 Tsp of Active Yeast
1 Tsp of Sugar
Second set:
2 Cups of Bread Flour
1 1/4 Cup of Whole Wheat flour
1/4 Cup of Sugar
1 Tsp of Salt
4 Tbl of Shortening (butter could be replace if you like the taste)
1 Egg
57 Grams of Warm Water (adapted from The Mother's Recipe)

Directions
Take the first set of ingredients and mix it well.  Let it rise until it bubbles.  This may take up to an hour depending on the temperature of the house.  The Husband keeps it cold because he is cheap :D.  I can't wait until winter is over.  In the mean-time, mix together the two different flours and make sure it is well incorporated.  Add the sugar and salt.  Again mix well until it is well mixed.  Add the shortening, egg and warm water to bind the dough.  Once it appears well mixed, add the yeast mixture.  The dough may be a bit sticky, but wait until it is well bended before add more flour.  Once it is fully mixed, remove it from the mixer and dust a light coat of bread flour to dry it out a little but too much.  Or else it will be hard to roll out. 

Place in a greased bowl and cover for at least 1 to 2 hour until it doubles in size.  Once it is doubled, divide the dough into equal parts and shape into balls.  I like this doing for the roll look.  You could always roll in a log and cut up pieces of dough.  Coat the pieces of Pan De Sal in bread crumbs (if you have already whole wheat, that would be better).  Place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. 

Cover with a cloth and let it rise for at least 1-2 hours.  Yes, it actually takes this long to make pan de sal, but so worth the effort.  Once it doubles in size, bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. thanks for this recipe.. i'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just the topic i was looking for! would you mind sharing the recipe with weight instead of volume measures pls? thanks a lot & keep up the excellent work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! I'm bookmarking it and I'm definitely gonna make it! Looks great! Thanks to you and your mother for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried these several times and it's really soooo good! Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is the temperature of the water?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried making pandesal couple of times it all ended up in the garbage...it was as hard as a rock

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't really have an exact temp for the water. Just a little warmer than lukewarm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way you used whole wheat instead of all-purpose flour. I will try this tomorrow for Sunday merienda, just after mass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. terrible recipe. i tried this and it came out horribly, and i know it wasn't me because ive baked tons of bread before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just made this wheat pandesal, perfect, thanks for the recipe, i forgot to buy bread crumbs so i used panko which is available in my pantry and came out good, ate 3 pieces, hot pandesal!!!

    ReplyDelete