Lijit

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ice Cream Cupcakes



Sweet, Sweet Silence.  This is what I need to achieve to even have a chance to write a post lately.  Like today, I had to wake up at 6 in the morning just to get stuff done which included editing and writing this post.  How I miss the time prior talking stage.  The Daughter would just smiled if I just looked at her.  Now it is talking non-stop.  I get so entertained by the stuff she comes out with but sometimes, I just need a moment to hear my own thoughts.  My days are filled with work and hearing......
"Mommy, Mommy, MOMMY!  Where are you?"  or "Mommy what are you doing?"  
Especially during this time of year, she is awed by the lights, Santa, and of course gifts.  I could imagine how much less silence I will have when The Son starts to talk.  

Normally, I would start my gift baskets but I have been so busy at work that I have been getting early and staying late to get stuff done.  I'm even working next weekend.  I am still in the Christmas mood but I don't get to do all the things I wanted to do like experimenting on various candies and breads.  This year I need a little help.  I had to request help from Ms. Betty Crocker, Mr. Duncan Hines, and even the Pillsbury Doughboy.  

I was so proud of myself that I was able to bake and cook so much stuff from scratch, especially since I was never a real cook when I was younger.  I didn't have to really learn to cook until the kids came along.  Don't get me wrong, I think all of their products are great.  I just liked experimenting and figuring out recipes over and over again.  

I couldn't just go with straight recipe they provided, I had to alter it even slightly.  For The Daughter's Birthday, I needed a little help.  I decided to use a basic chocolate and yellow cake mix and make ice cream cupcakes.  I altered the recipe by substituting the eggs and oil with mayo.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the good stuff due to my diet so I had to use my diet mayo.  It was mayo but just as much oil.  It tasted the same as regular mayo (I even had The Husband taste it to make sure).  

Ice Cream Cupcakes
1 Box of your Choice of Cake Mix
1/2 Cup of Mayo (I used the same amount of mayo as oil on the box)
2/3 Water *According to the box
23 Ice Cream Cones *The plain ones like the Joy kind - The Husband believes I got this kinda because of the name

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F
  2. Prepare the cake mix as directed but instead of the oil and eggs use the amount of mayo as the oil.  E.g. if the box asked for a 1/2 cup of oil, I used 1/2 cup of mayo
  3. Pour the batter into the ice cream cones until it was 2/3 full.  I placed the cones into a cupcake mold for easier transportation.
  4. Bake for 25 minutes until it is done. 
  5. Frost and Serve

I frosting I used the store bought cream cheese frosting and I also made a chocolate one by make a chocolate ganache and whipping it into a thick frosting.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
(from Martha Steward's Living Magazine)
8 oz of Semisweet Chocolate
1 Cup of Heavy Cream
Directions

  1. Heat the cream to a light boil on a med-high heat in a sauce pan.
  2. Place the chocolate in a mixing bowl.
  3. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
  4. When the ganache reaches a temperature of room temp, start to whip it it until it gets nice an fluffy












I did get in a little trouble because I messed with the kids.  I made a chocolate cake and top it with a cream cheese frosting while I used the chocolate ganache on a yellow cake.  The kids wasn't sure which one they wanted since both had chocolate.  I have to get my kicks one way or another.

2 comments: